Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Drivethroughs

Last night I went through a drivethrough. Aren't you proud of me DC? Went to McDonalds, to get some fries. Normally I give drivethroughs a wide bearth. For some reason I've never liked them. You drive up, roll down your window, give your order to a box with a funny sounding voice. Then you drive to the next window and hand over some money. Next window, an arm hands over your food and you drive off. Then you're left with the interesting task of eating while trying to drive, but that is another matter entirely.

I think what I don't like is the impersonal nature of drivethroughs, I would much rather park, get out, go inside, order from a real person that is standing there in front of me, and then get my food from that same person. Service with a smile. But last night it was late (why does everything have to close so early?) and I wanted some fries, so out of necessity I had to go through the drivethrough. And you know, it wasn't so bad. I still prefer to go inside, but I think I may be warming up to drivethroughs.

No comments: