Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Another Night of Rowdiness

Just got back from another interesting evening of GEMs. Tonight we had a regular lesson from the Shine magazine. The lesson this week included a story about Josie and Meagan. Josie wrote a really nasty note to Meagan and left it on her locker. The theme this year is about building others up, so tonight we talked about how the things we say can hurt and shatter a person's insides. The girls had lots of fun thinking of mean things that people can say. They were much less quick to come up with nice things to say.

They were just as rowdy as last week, though I have a better idea how to handle them now. They were really quiet while we were reading the story and they all wanted to be involved. They also liked the stickers that I brought so we can keep attendance. Each week that they come, they get to put up a sticker by their name.

Didn't try candy this week cuz they already had plenty of candy. Maybe next week. I think I will try playing a quiet game. The girls have to be quiet when I say and if anyone talks, they get points. The person with the least points wins. I will bring my box of prizes for the occasion, pencils, erasers, notepads and the like. Just the sort of thing that little girls love. I think that will work, though I think I know who will win :) There is one girl in the group who reminds me of myself when I was that age. Very quiet, but happy to just sit back and watch.

They really wanted to play telephone too. I wonder how old that game is...I can remember loving that game as a kid. That will be a good bribe too. If everyone is quiet and we can get through our lesson fast, we can play telephone.

They are rowdy, but one thing is certain, there is never a dull moment with this group :)

No comments: